Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Piñata stenches and the allergy soliloquy.

By the end of the day, my neurons have been stripped to shreds like string cheese and I am dead as a duck (Chicago reference anyone?).  Now that I have mentioned cheese, I would like to share the story of how I nearly lost my sense of smell after having to endure the RANKNESS of what my last class offered us today.

As mentioned, by the time I'm in my last class, Spanish, I usually am on dormant mode.  Yeah, I take a language I was born fluent in but it's a class for Spanish speakers.  So NO...I'm not that much of a slacker...I just didn't wanna take French which does not interest me at all and is the only other foreign language option at school.  Anyhow, unlike most days, today I was rudely awaken by this PUNGENT DEADLY STENCH!!

I walk into the class and am silenced by this smell resembling that of a mixture of vomit, perfume (probably sprayed to mask the stench), rotten cheese, and pig excretions.  I looked around the room wondering if anyone else had picked up on the strange odor and I must've had a really disgusted look on my face because one of the girls in my class laughed and pointed at the board which read:

"Huele Feo" - Spanish for "It smells ugly"

As each person walked into the classroom, they complained and made gagging noises while the rest of us who had already been inside for a few minutes covered our noses with our shirts.  I swear I had not smelled such nastiness since we disected that icky preserved pig fetus in biology.  What on earth had died, been revived, and died yet again in our classroom?!

My Spanish teacher's English speaking class had been making piñatas to learn about Mexican culture (here's a wikipedia link for those of you who are not familiar with what I am talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi%C3%B1ata) so they were pasting the newspaper onto the balloons today with the flour and water paste.  Unfortunately, my teacher had left the mixture contained for a few days (I believe) and it began to ROT.  Not wanting to slow her class' piñata-making process, she ignored the smell and implored her students to use it anyway.  Since we continued to gripe about the smell, she allowed us to step outside and take the wet balloons with us so that they could dry in the toasty (more like firey) Texas heat.  Thankfully, it was a windy day but there were a few instances that I caught a whiff of the stench and I wanted to puke.

Strangely, the rotten paste incident made the class a little exciting today since I didn't stay in my desk for the whole 90 minutes (my teacher is a stickler so you don't do much moving around in there). 
Oh, I forgot to post this the last time I was complaining about Hamlet.  We were suppose to write our own parody of the "To be or not to be"  soliloquy so I will conclude this entry with it...here it is:


The Allergy Soliloquy

To sneeze, or not to sneeze? That is the question
Whether 'tis acceptable at the dinner table to emit
The gross and icky germs of a cold,
Or to instead preserve our good manners before the guests
And by holding the sneeze, create sinus pressure? To sneeze
To release,-no more- and by a sneeze to say we diminish
The watery eyes and the power of the metaphorical feathers
That tickle our noses-'tis a concept that welcomes
A sigh of relief!  To sneeze, to release.
To release, perchance to breathe once more- ay, there's the key
For in that the release of little histamine agitators,
When we take our subsequent whiff of fresh air,
We must pause.  There's the sea of onlookers
That is silenced in disgust at one's failure to cover one's mouth.


Foxtrot uniform Charlie kilo,
(YouTube the statement above)

Dina Starr

No comments:

Post a Comment